What to Do When Your Friend Crashes Your Car

You have lent your car to a friend, and your friend has caused a car accident while driving your car. Who is responsible and who will be paying for damages?

If your friend who is driving a car lent by you gets into a car accident, whether or not you would be required to foot the bill will depend on various factors, like your state laws, the conditions in your insurance policy, and the circumstances of the accident. Generally, the insurance company may cover a car accident caused by someone who has been driving your car. The insurance company may provide coverage in such cases only if your vehicle was taken by the person with your permission and also whether you were reasonable to grant that permission.

Owner’s Negligence

If the insurance company considers that you have been negligent in lending your car to your friend, they may decline to own liability to pay the bills. This clause is called owner’s negligence. This is applicable in instances when you have loaned your car to your friend who does not have a valid driver’s license, or you loaned your car while your friend has been under the influence of alcohol. In such cases, your insurance company may refuse to pay for damages.

Reading the Fine Print

There may be situations when you have reasonably loaned your car to a friend and your friend gets into an accident; the insurance company may still deny paying for damages. You will have to read the fine print of the terms of your policy to determine the type of coverage applicable on your vehicle and whether the coverage is applicable for third party drivers as well. If your vehicle is to be driven by a third person on a regular basis, it is advisable to have that person included in your insurance policy.


Whether you have been reasonable in lending your car to your friend is a difficult question and it does not have one answer when it comes to payment of damages for the accident caused by your friend who has been driving your car. It is, however, imperative that you report each and every accident involving your vehicle, whether you have been driving or someone else, to your insurance company. In case you are uncertain about your responsibility for a friend driving your car involved in an accident, you should contact a Houston car accident attorney for specific advice regarding the issue.

Call RJ Alexander Law, PLLC at (832) 458-1756 to learn about your legal options and to resolve the case in a manner that is beneficial to all involved.


Driver & Driving Involved in Accident

Aggressive Driving
Buzzed Driving
Carpool Car Accident
Child in Car Accident
Designated Driver in Car Accident
Distracted Driver Accident
Drowsy Driving Accident
Drugged Driving Accident
Drunk Driving Accident
Elderly Car Accident
Employee Car Accident
Family Member Car Accident
Lease Car Accident

Line of Duty Accident
Low Speed Car Accident
Obesity and Car Accidents
Passenger in Car Accident
Pedestrian Accident
Phantom Vehicle Accident
Pregnant Car Accident
Reckless Driving Accident
Rental Car Accident
Seat Belt Accident
Senior Citizen Driving Accident
Speeding Car Accident
Teen Car Accident