Garbage Truck – Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Contact Garbage Truck Houston Truck Accident Lawyer RJ Alexander Law PLLC to help you receive the compensation you deserve!
Free Initial Consultation Call (832) 458-1756.
Garbage Truck Houston Truck Accident Lawyer & Lawsuits
Waste management is a necessary and tough job, as well as a dangerous one. For those who spend their days working on a garbage truck, there are many risks to look out for. Waste management jobs have for many decades been one of the highest injury and fatality careers in the U.S., usually staying in the top ten. Although strides have been made in recent years to make garbage trucks safer, many people still die each year in garbage truck accidents.
Garbage Truck Houston Truck Accident Lawyer: High Fatality Rate For Motorists & Waste Management Employees Alike
Garbage truck workers were ranked 7th in the United States by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in dangerous occupations for 2010. This was based on fatalities on the job, with waste management coming with 26 in 2010. Most of these fatalities happened while working on the garbage trucks. Some of the accidents that ended in death for workers included:
- Over half of the fatalities were due to transportation accidents
- Eight deaths in 2010 happened in the highway
- Six deaths were caused by objects or equipment
The fatality rate was 29.8 per 100,000 workers in waste management for 2010. Although this has been reduced from only a few years prior, it is still one of the highest rates in any occupation.
Houston, Texas Truck Worker Injuries and Garbage Truck Houston Truck Accident Lawyer RJ Alexander Law PLLC
Even higher than the rate of fatalities in waste management is the amount of injuries. For 2010, garbage workers were ranked 4th out of all occupations in worker injuries. Some of these injuries cause permanent damage and disabilities. Some common types of garbage truck injuries are:
- Lacerations: The most common type of injury is cuts or lacerations. These can be from moving equipment on the trucks or being struck by objects falling.
- Struck-by accidents: Garbage truck workers can be struck-by the garbage truck when backing up or by other vehicles on the road.
- Struck-against: Crushing accidents can occur when limbs or appendages get caught in the moving parts on a garbage truck.
Garbage Truck Accident Safety
Improvements have been made over the years in garbage truck safety, including more automated pick up procedures that reduce garbage truck workers being exposed to hazards. However, there are still many dangers that garbage truck workers and passing pedestrians face. To increase safety the Division of Occupational Safety & Health recommends:
- Always use reflective and protective gear when working on garbage trucks
- Stand to the side of the truck when compacting is occurring
- Use correct lock out or tag out procedures when entering compacting area. Equipment needs to be turned off completely to ensure that employees are not in danger of being crushed.
- Create a pedestrian-free zone while truck are operating.
- Truck operators should stop if other workers or pedestrians are not in view.
Due to the heavy equipment used on garbage trucks, operators need to apply caution to protect workers and pedestrians passing by from the dangers.
Houston Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer & Injury Lawsuits
If you have been injured while working on a garbage truck or as an innocent by-stander, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Garbage truck accidents can be very serious, causing injuries that require extensive medical treatment, rehabililitation, loss from work, and even death. Anyone hurt from exposure to the dangers of these trucks will need legal advice and representations to receive the financial compensation they deserve.
The garbage truck Houston truck accident lawyer at RJ Alexander Law PLLC is experienced in handling complex injury cases involving dangerous work equipment such as garbage trucks. We invite you to discuss your case with us free of charge to explore what options are available with a skilled lawyer who has helped people like you in Houston garbage truck accident lawsuits.